Saturday, May 4, 2013

Some things NEVER change


We have returned to the USA and have finally surfaced from the pandemonium of an international relo with 5 weeks’ notice (more about that later).  In the 3 weeks since landing in Denver, we have bought a house, two cars, and a whole lot of clothes. Having survived 3 snow storms in as many weeks, we’re starting to find a new normal.  Just to prove it, I thought I share the following with you.

I know many of my friends and family find amusement if not outright hilarity in the wacky escapades of me and the Russian.  It now appears that total strangers find us entertaining as well.  While we were in the grocery store recently, a lady informed me that she’d like to follow us through the store listening to our conversation.  Here are the highlights of what she overhead:

P: Dennis, please stop reorganizing the shelves.
D: But mom, they very messy.
P: They are not messy; the shelves are just not fully stocked.
D: I can fix it.
P: I know you can, but I would like to get done with the shopping SOON and it’s not your job to straighten of the shelves.
D: Whose job is it?
P: There are people who work here that will fill the shelves up.
D: What his name?  Why he not do it now?
P:  I don’t know their names, but I promise you that this evening after we go home, the people with that job will come and fill up the shelves and tidy everything up.  Can we PLEASE keep moving??????
D: Hey mom, what’s my job?
P: (BIG SIGH) To be a good kid and do what your mommy asks.
D: Oh

Minutes later in the seafood section

D: HEY MOM, THIS FISH STILL HAVE HIS HEAD ON!  AND IT HAVE TAIL AND FLIPPERS ON TOO!!!!!!
P: Yes, it does.  That is a trout.
D: Hey mom, whose job is it to take their heads off?
P: The butcher
D: Why he not do his job?

My next stop was the wine section.