Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Life’s no fun without a challenge

Whether it’s the road less traveled syndrome or the adrenalin rush we get by clawing our way to the top of a mountain, some of us live life for the challenge. There have been many times when I’ve asked myself “whose idea was this?” The answer is almost always – me, myself and I. The things I value most in life are the ones that I worked hardest to attain. Anyone can achieve the easy stuff – where's the fun in having same stuff or the same accomplishments as everybody else?

I realize not everyone on the planet is wired with the same schematic and for that we should all be thankful. NO one would want a world full of Paula’s and anyone who knows me will attest to that fact; some might even say that one is more than enough! However I digress – the purpose of this post is to explain why I play with molten glass in my kitchen.

Several years ago I taught myself to string beads and make jewelry. I was always intrigued with the beautiful glass beads and had long wondered how they were made (yes – I watch the discovery channel on a regular basis). Shortly after arrive in Alice Springs, I attended an art gallery open house and watched a local woman make glass beads. I was completely mesmerized. I sat down on the floor next to her and watched all afternoon. After a year of getting to know her and few other bead makers in the community, she finally agreed to take myself and 2 others on as students.

With the purchase of a 4 lb gas canister, a specialized torch head, a few glass rods, a couple of .06 mm welding rods, a bucket of vermiculite and a few miscellaneous items my adventure into bead making began.

The process I’m using is called lamp glass work and the technique I’m working to “master” is called wound glass, because it involves winding molten glass into a steel rod.

Here’s the basic explanation provided by Wikipedia:
Probably the earliest beads of true glass were made by the winding method. Glass at a temperature high enough to make it workable, or "ductile", is laid down or wound around a steel wire or mandrel coated in a clay slip called "bead release." The wound bead, while still hot, may be further shaped by manipulating with graphite, wood, stainless steel or marble tools and paddles. This process is called marvering, originating from the French word "marver" which translates to "marble". It can also be pressed into a mold in its molten state. While still hot, or after re-heating, the surface of the bead may be decorated with fine rods called stringers of colored glass. These are a type of lampwork beads.

Here’s my description:
You start with a glass rod that’s slightly bigger around than a pencil and a 12 inch long piece of .06 mm wide welding rod. The rod is officially called a mandrel and the top couple inches of the rod must be dipped in bead release and allowed to dry.
I begin by lighting the torch and holding the glass rod in one hand and the mandrel in the other, slowing heating the glass in the flame. The molten glass is then wound on the mandrel to form a bead. The mandrel must be turned continually until the bead is completed. Depending on the size and complexity of the design the process can take anywhere from 5 to 35 minutes. Once the bead is completed it is cooled slightly (while still being turned) then buried in vermiculite, to slow the cooling process.

I’m still striving to make two beads similar enough for earrings that don't make the wearers head look lopsided.













Here's a few examples of things I've recently finished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where's the photo???

kb