Waggs Walkabout

Saturday, August 21, 2010

One more sleep

It’s been a crazy couple of weeks, but our bags are packed and we’re trying to stay occupied to help the time pass. Dave just put the kettle on for an afternoon cup of coffee/tea but I’m thinking a gin and tonic would be more useful in calming me down. He’s given me “that look” more than once this afternoon and I usually only get it a couple times a year. I just told him the choice I was considering and he strongly encouraged me to avoid caffeine. Looks like there’s a G&T in my near future!

We’ve been invited over to a friend’s house for dinner tonight so that we don’t need to cook and they can send us off in high fashion. I only need to kill another three and a half hours before dinner. The only thing left on the “To Do” list is clean out the fridge. All I really have to do is pop a few things in the freezer and chuck what’s left in the crisper into the trash.

Although we’ve had a list of tasks that had to be completed prior to the trip, it wasn’t enough to expend all of my excess energy. So in my spare time this week, I have done the following:

  • Given myself a pedicure and facial
  • Detailed the car
  • Swept the front sidewalk and patio on a daily basis
  • Scrubbed and waxed the kitchen floor
  • Washed the walls and floors in both bathrooms
  • Scoured bathtub
  • Washed every piece of laundry I could find, including bath mats
  • Weeded the flower bed
  • Bowled 12 games
  • Walked over five miles
  • Cooked gourmet meals every night for dinner
  • Vacuumed and dusted the entire house
  • Changed the photos out in a couple frames
  • Hosted a dinner party
  • I attempted to read a book, but could sit still long enough to make much progress.

Hmmm – this list makes be seem even more obsessed than I’d previously given myself credit.


Why – yes, that is the smell of a fresh picked lime and the rattle of ice cubes in a glass.


Tomorrow we head to Sydney and since the one and only flight a day to Sydney which doesn’t arrive in time to make any international connections, we’ll spend the night in Sydney. Then on Monday, we take a nine hour flight to Bangkok, Thailand then after a few hours lay over, fly 10.5 hours to Helsinki, Finland. There we get a few hours in the airport then hop an hour and half flight to Moscow. Then we overnight in Moscow and fly another 2 hours to Perm the next day. Our appointment with baby home is on the 26th. All warm fuzzy happy thoughts, prayers and Jedi mind tricks will be greatly appreciated.


We’ll be in Perm until the 31st and will be able to visit our little guy each day for a few hours. On the return trip, we have 3 days in Moscow for the physicals required for the adoption process and hopefully some sightseeing now the wild fires are under controls. On the return trip we have a night in Helsinki then the hellish trip back to Sydney and a terminal transfer and directly on to Alice. Doesn’t that sound like fun? I’ll let you know if we still like each other after 30 hours of travel. I’m betting that I won’t like myself by the time we get home.


The punch line is that this only the first trip! Yep we have to do it all again in a few months. We’re still thinking it will all be worth it and hoping that all the stars line up and the gods smile on us, allowing us to have our little person home by Christmas. We’ll keep you posted.

No comments: