Monday, March 9, 2009

Good Food

Last night Dave made the most amazing meal. It was an absolute gourmet delight that occurred from happenstance.

We took part in a fundraiser by ordering 2 dozen fresh oysters. One of the local football teams took advance orders and had them flown in on Saturday. It sort of slipped my mind that Dave had ordered them and on Saturday morning he reminded me that the oysters needed to be picked, I thought – what the heck am I going to do with those rascals? I was in the middle of something so I suggested he hop on-line and see if any recipes appealed to him. I’d have been OK with cracking them open with some cocktail sauce and sliding them down, but someone in my house isn’t a big fan of oysters on the half shell.

I finished up some chores and was at work dragging out cookbooks to look for oyster recipes, when Dave announced he had recipes picked out and had list of groceries he needed for supper. I decided to let him run with it and I’m sure glad I did.

He put me in charge of a veg and bread and he handled the shells. For a guy who’s not an overly confidant cook, he hopped squarely outside the box by whipping up three different topping for grilled oysters ranging from the more traditional of crumbled bacon & green onion and lemon garlic butter to the over the moon good, can’t get enough - mango Pico de Gallo with red chili horseradish topping. The mango Pico de Gallo is amazing. Two dozen oysters were not nearly enough! We’re thinking of other foods that could be topped with this stuff – shrimp, tuna, sword fish, pork roast, ham steak, crackers, a spoon.

I love that man and his oyster topping!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can't give us a post like that without including the recipe. Do we have to search the internet ourselves for the recipes?